All Saints Chapel
Completed in 1929, All Saints Chapel is the only survivor of several Grace Church missions constructed through the initiative of the Reverend Frank Leslie Robinson, Rector of Grace Church from 1910 to 1942. Its exterior of rough boards painted the white of purity, its fence shaped as open arms, and its broken roof line to show the cross on the turret-shaped chimney as its highest point are features of the highly symbolic effect conceived by the architect, Stanislaw Makielski (1914-1968), whose papers are archived at the University of Virginia Department of Special Collections.
All Saints Chapel is located at 3929 Stony Point Road on Route 20 North, about 8 miles from Free Bridge and the Charlottesville city limits. From Cismont, one can take Route 600 (Stony Point Pass) to its end, then left about 200 yards on Route 20.
The Physical Address is :
3929 Stony Point Road
Keswick, Virginia 22947
2012 witnessed the completion of a comprehensive renovation, which included new interior wallboard, extensive exterior reconstruction and new electrical, heating and air conditioning systems. The result is a beautiful little house of worship. The entire project far exceeded initial cost estimates, as a result of the extent of previously undiscovered decay. It is a tribute to the wonderful generosity of the small regular congregation and other contributors that we did not need to accept the Vestry’s offer of a loan from Grace Church funds. Needless to say, the Chapel’s fund is now greatly reduced.
Services are held twice monthly at 9:00 am, consisting of Holy Communion on the second Sunday, celebrated by Grace’s Rector, the Reverend G. Miles Smith, and Morning Prayer on each fourth Sunday, celebrated by a lay reader. All services utilize Rite One. The usual congregation numbers about 15 to 18 persons, in addition to occasional outside visitors. Increasingly we have been joined by regular attendees of Grace Church who wish to enjoy worship in the quaint chapel building or who take this opportunity for an early service within the parish.